Random Thoughts of a Unique Mind

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time to Rest

Ok, I know it's been a couple of months since I actually posted on here. Things were crazy for the better part of a month and a half, and I didn't have time to breathe, muchless write a blog, that quite frankly, I don't know if anyone reads lol

In my last post, I talked about how 'easy' my job usually is. Man did I ever speak too soon! In early July, we had a manager leave us, and his replacement didn't come in until last week. So for a month, my boss and I ran the building a manager short. We both worked some long and crazy hours for that month. Things went relatively smoothly, no real complaints, it was just at the wrong time of year for that to happen. Between drivers taking their vacations and my package handlers wanting days off here and there, things became stressful. We persevered though and made it through. My numbers suffered, which I took some heat for, but all in all, the upper management knew what we were going through and were a little more lenient than they would have been otherwise. I also got behind on a project that I was ahead on before all of this went down. I am now forty percent of the way done, when I had planned on being at least sixty-five to seventy percent done. I had HOPED to be really close to wrapping it up by now, but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

The new manager started at the right time though. Typically, August is our second busiest time of year and it has hit us hard. We've been running volume not seen since last year just before Christmas. Again, I give my crew all the credit in the world because they haven't missed a beat, even though I have made them come to work at 4:00 in the morning. I'm proud of the way they've come together in a really busy and rushed time of year. We get hit especially hard because Tuscaloosa has three colleges with a total of about 36,000 students. That is A LOT of back to school stuff, and now that college kids are ordering at least 1/3 of their books online, a lot of school books to deliver!

In my personal life, not a lot of interesting stuff is going on. Things at church should pick up now that school is back in session and people are done with vacations. My class is made up of mostly graduate students and young(er) professionals. We have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the itenerary for the fall. I'm looking forward to it. I'm still enjoying my new car. It needs to be washed though...any volunteers?

I am going to try to go home over Labor Day to see my family. I took an extra day off so that I will have a four day weekend. I try to go home as often as I can to see my folks. Ever since my dad had his stroke and subsequent surgery, I have felt more inclined to go spend as much time as possible with he and my mom. It's scary thinking about how close we came to losing him. I treasure every day that I get to spend with him. Other than that, I really don't have a lot planned. I have a very uninteresting life, but that is really the way I like it. Can't stand too much drama.

Anyway, I hope that all of you are doing well and hope to hear from you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home